Ingredients for 20 large patties (serves 6-7)
1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) ground lamb (with some fat)
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 heaping tablespoon baharat spice mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
The Tahini sauce:
1/2 cup raw tahini
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 tablespoons pine nuts
Fresh chopped mint
- Prepare the patties: Mix the meat with the onions, garlic, parsley or coriander, baharat and olive oil. Knead thoroughly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 220 dgC (425 dgF)
- Knead again and form large flat patties. Arrange in a siniya pan or ovenproof pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the patties are baking, prepare the sauce: Whisk the raw tahini with one cup of water – the sauce should be smooth and quite thin. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the partly baked patties. Sprinkle the pine nuts and bake for 10-15 minutes until the tahini sauce forms a crust over the patties. Garnish with chopped mint and serve immediately.
Janna Gur / The Book of New Israeli Food